I’m sure you’ve seen the commercials, witnessed the large bins of pencils, glue, and notebooks appearing in the stores, and have begun to notice the slow reappearance of school buses making their rounds. It’s back to school season.
My first day of school with students is next Monday and I couldn’t be more excited! In order to prepare for the first day, I’ve been doing a few arts and crafts of my own at home. Here is one that I thought you would enjoy!
First Day of School Photo Prop
I created this prop as a gift idea for parents so that they may see how their child has grown throughout their kindergarten year. At the end of the year I will create a “Last Day of K” sign. If you have any other ideas about potential uses, please feel free to share!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 large wooden letter (or number) to reflect your grade level (I found mine at Hobby Lobby)
- paint (I used acrylic – it looks much brighter and bluer in person)
- 2 foam paint brushes (1 large and 1 small)
- adhesive foam letters and numbers (again, Hobby Lobby) – if you can’t find adhesive foam letters and numbers don’t worry about it! Just use tacky glue or a hot glue gun to adhere your message onto the letter.
What to do:
- Using a large foam paint brush, evenly spread the paint over the surface of the wooden letter. Use the small foam brush to paint the edges and corners.
- Let the first layer of paint dry and then apply a second coat.
- Once both layers of paint have dried, lay out the foam letters until you are satisfied with your design.
- Carefully peel the paper backing off of the foam letters and press, adhesive side down, onto your painted letter.
- Voila! You now have a beautiful photo prop for your first day of school.
- This craft can be used in many other ways as well! Take a look below for some other designs I created based off of this project.
Quick, easy, and adorable in the hands of a 5 year old.