In my family, the Fourth of July has always been celebrated with family and friends, a game or two of bags, fireworks, and, of course, lots and lots of food. I realized that this year I would have to be a bit more strategic in the dish I brought to the family cookout so that it would fit into my new keto diet. I knew there would be several tempting food items at our family get together this year and wanted to make a dish that would be delicious, satisfying, and keep me away from sweets and carbs.
I decided to prepare a caprese salad made with cherry tomatoes and a tangy balsamic dressing for the party. This salad gave me a taste of the sweetness I was craving from staring at rice-krispy treats, berry pies, and chocolate covered pretzels, and was a light and refreshing side to a hot summer day.
What you’ll need:
- 2 – 3 (10 oz) containers of cherry tomatoes (I used a mixture of cherry and sunburst for a pop of color)
- 1 (8 oz) container of small mozzarella balls
- 1 bunch of fresh basil (about 10 medium sized leaves)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- salt and pepper
What to do:
- Rinse and dry the cherry tomatoes. Slice them in half and place in a large bowl.
- Drain the package of mozzarella balls and add them to the bowl with tomatoes.
- Roughly chop the basil and add to the same bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic. Whisk thoroughly.
- Pour the balsamic dressing over the tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Though this salad was made with my dietary concerns in mind, everyone at the party enjoyed it and I think you will too!