It’s day five of the keto diet (we’ve finally given it a label) and the more research I do on this new lifestyle, the happier I am with my decision to drop carbs and processed sugars! I have been experiencing a touch of the carb flu (dizziness, feeling light-headed, a little weakness – especially in the legs), but I am feeling inspired and motivated to keep going. I will tell you that drinking A LOT of water will be very helpful in curbing this “flu”.
This morning I decided to try a keto meal that had caught my eye quite some time ago, but was slightly skeptical about – baked avocado and egg. I wasn’t sure how I felt about eating a warm avocado or if I would like the egg/avocado combination, but I am pleased to say that I ended up finding this breakfast very delicious and super satisfying. It was also very easy to make which is always a bonus. I strongly suggest you give this one a try!
Baked Avocado and Egg
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs crumbled bacon
- salt and pepper
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut one avocado in half. Set the avocado half with the attached pit to the side to use later.
- Using a small spoon, scoop out some extra avocado around the center (enough to fit the egg yolk and white). I suggest eating the spooned out avocado with a tiny sprinkle of salt and a drop of lime juice…but that’s just me.
- Place the avocado in a small ramekin or a muffin pan to prevent it from rolling around in the oven.
- Crack one egg into the center of the avocado and season with salt and pepper. It’s okay if some egg white spills over the edge of the avocado.
- Sprinkle crumbled bacon over the top and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Once egg is fully cooked, remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes to cool.
- Eat while still warm! The egg developed a slight crispy crust around the edges and I strongly recommend using the bacon! The avocado and egg had a soft, creamier texture, so the bacon provided a lovely crunch.
Seriously, give this recipe a try! I will definitely be making this again and again for breakfast.